Thursday, April 12, 2012

When I Go Sightseeing...I Go See Gardens! Dumbarton Oaks in D.C. Part 1: Wisteria

My Husband's sister and her family generously hosted bbC and I in Washington D.C. last week. And they asked me where I wanted to go. Normally when such a decision has to be made I defer to, well, anyone else, so that I am not possibly responsible for people having a miserable time. But there was no one else to make a decision, it was all me! So I nervously suggested the things that I would most like to do--see gardens and the great outdoors! Don't get me wrong, the monuments are monumental and the museums of the Smithsonian Institute are outstanding, but they don't feed my soul like the beauty of a garden. I pointed out a few options from a guide book and my intrepid Navigator/Sister-In-Law planned our routes and transportation. I'm going to share pictures in installments because that way I can post more pictures without overwhelming anyone's daily garden-photo-quota (unless your quota is 0-3)

Dumbarton Oaks is a private historic garden located in Georgetown. Admission was $8 for adults and $5 for children. There was actually a group of about 15 people waiting for it to open, which made me feel confident that we were about to see a very fine garden, and it was indeed. Here are a few highlights--Part 1

Wisteria
 It climbed and draped flowers all over the place. Wisteria has a nice scent that in large quantities can be overpowering, like walking down the detergent isle. While it is very beautiful, do your research before planting. It is high maintenance!





No comments:

Post a Comment